14 september 2011

Nala goldfish PJs - or how I started sewing


Today a smaller project - a piama for my youngest.  We call it Goldfish PJs because of how the ruffles at the hems remind me of the tail and fins of those fancy goldfish one sees at Chinese restaurants, and obviously because of the color (grin).  Fortunately when she came out of school she went ´´aaaaaah, Mommy, I love it´´.  So now she´s upstairs snoring contently in her new outfit. 

The pattern I used is Nala by Farbenmix although I shortened the ruffle by 2 cm and elongated the sleeves and legs by the same 2 cm.  I have to tell you, I have a special conenction with the Nala pattern as this is the one that got me into sewing in the first place, now about 4 years ago.  I had never sewn before nor taken any classes but was confronted with the never ceasing need to buy more clothes and stuff  in the next size up when my twins were born.  I was simply astounded with the prices some brands sometimes ask for simple stuff.  In addition, it was hard to find the colorful look I loved so much from growing up with Oilily myself.  Therefore I started to explore whether it would be difficult to make something myself.  I came across this pic of the Nala pattern with a Marieke dress and I just loved it.  It shows a bright orange dress with a huge butterfly applique, combined with a hot pink shirt and leggings... Colorful, playful, one of a kind.. ever since I have been trying to retrieve that sometimes wild, sometimes more subdued, but always colorful and playful look for my own kids. 

And yes, I know I can buy velour PJs for 15 Euro at H&M.  But that´s beyond the point, isn´t it?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten