06 september 2011

Dutch themed dress and soupy leggings

  This is a comfy playdress I made a couple of weeks ago.  It has a jersey top half, like a short t-shirt.  The bottom half consists of 6 panels of a woven Oilily fabric from my stash that I had been sitting on for years, waiting for the right fabric and pattern combination.

I changed the original pattern slightly (pattern from Monny Schnitt purchased from here) - I added a curved seam to the panels plus I omitted the biais tape.  Instead I sewed stretched out elastic to the back of each panel seam to give the skirt a bit of poufing or balloon effect. 

When these fabrics combined themselves, I knew the decorations had to be in Delft blue.  Therefore I framed a scrap of Delft blue fabric into a polaroid for the back (embroidery series by Luzia Pimpinella via Huups! here).  Then, I added a Delft blue bambi to the front (embroidery here).  The flower is made by cutting 1 inch wide strips of fabric from leftovers of the top (easy cutting if you use a striped fabric).  Then run a straight stitch all along the length of the strips, using a large stitch length and perhaps slightly decreased undertension depending on your machine.  No need to finish the edges of the strips!  But you can if you want ofcourse.  Start your flower by tacking down with a few tiny stitches the beginning of strip one.  Then, scrunch up the strip evenly by pulling at the bottom thread.  Stitching down the scrunched up strips´ center a few stitches at a time, start circeling around the center until your flower is big enough to your liking. Then finish off!  This works beautifully on solid colored tops too, by the way. 

To top it off, I found a small Delft blue wooden shoe made of porcelain that will need to be able come off before laundering obviously so I used a ball chain to attach it to a small ribbon loop.  The cherry on the pie (or perhaps I should say soup) are the matching leggings made in a soup can print jersey. 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten