02 januari 2012

Bluuuuuuuuue Velvet (Blazer)

I purchased this too adorable basic woolen skirt by Bengh, picture here.  Yes I know this is a basic skirt but I just loved the sassy color and the sassy grown up style for my 5 year old.  Mind you, I purchased 134-140 size which is at least two sizes bigger than I usually buy, so beware for the odd sizing this brand sometimes has.  There was a beautiful velour blazer jacket in either a kit color or a dark blue too, click here if you want to see it.  List price of the jacket was 129,- EUR, and sold out before ever going on sale (at least in the size I needed).  Ugh,  and unbelievable.  So.  What else could I do?

The pattern I used can be purchased here.  I made an adjustment to the backside to add the bow decoration and added an inverted pleat to CB.  I also faked the flap style hidden pockets.  This is a kids blazer after all.  I sewed a sz 116 (US 6) with half an inch of additional length to the bodice and the sleeves, my idiot proof approach to make any commercial pattern a more slim fitting style.  With such small additions I usually don´t bother to slash the pattern at the waist and add the length there.  Except for OIiver + S patterns I do this to all commercial patterns I use. But of course it depends on the body type of your child.  I used a fabric from my stash, a royal blue poly/cotton velvet from the remnant bin picked up years ago on a closeout sale.  It has a very short pole, which I suspect is the reason it sewed up like a dream.  Other velvets I have sewn before (100% cotton, or silk-rayon blend) all tended to walk away from the presser foot, leaving me with a frenzy of puckers. 

To complete the outfit I bought this top, the bow of which you can see in the pics. All in all, I am very pleased with the result.  DH´s comment was hilarious, his first one was ´´she looks like a tiny KLM flight attendant´´. What do you think?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten